Re: Sthange things happen: SkyTools pgbouncer is NOT a balancer

От hubert depesz lubaczewski
Тема Re: Sthange things happen: SkyTools pgbouncer is NOT a balancer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 08:02:34PM +0400, Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> So, it's completely magical for me why "Session pooling", "Transaction
> pooling" and "Statement pooling" options are exist (see
> https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/DbProjects/PgBouncer). If pgbouncer
> is not a balancer, what purpose is to use "Statement pooling" - if we sent
> 100 queries (e.g.) in the same connection, they will always be directed to
> the SAME MACHINE in its different connections, no balancing optimization at
> all.

i dont get where you get the idea that pgbouncer is loadbalancer. it was
never said so in no documentation i have ever found.

as for the purpose - of course there is purpose.

with your "100 queries" example - if you will choose statement pooling
they might be sent using different database connections (to the same
database though). and if you're using autocommit, then the same will
happen in "transaction pooling" mode.

the whole point of pgbouncer is to pool database connections and reuse
the same db-connection for many application connections.

which it does simply great.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)