Re: replacing Access/ Approach etc

От Zenaan Harkness
Тема Re: replacing Access/ Approach etc
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 09:45:21AM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> > A lack of a sense of control is simply one more barrier to potential
> > switchers. Make sense?
>
> But by starting postgresql under an administrative account, the user
> would, in effect, be giving up that control to PostgreSQL to simply do
> as it pleased with the machine.
>
> The real problem here is the common perception in Windows user's minds
> that running as an admin account is acceptable.  It's not.  It's
> dangerous.  If your friend was following the basic tenant of not
> running as an admin all the time, there would be no problem.  He, and
> many other windows users, have a bad habit to unlearn.  Making
> PostgreSQL part of the problem is not the solution.

I agree. And my recommendation for _next_ time he reinstalls his
windows/ sets up his machine, will be to arrange to live in a
non-privileged account. I don't know when that will be.

In the meantimem, is there any option to allow pg to run in a privileged
account on windows?

Thanks again for the feedback, it is appreciated,
Zen