Re: Auto vacuum documentation

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Auto vacuum documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Collin Peters escribió:
> Where is the definitive source for all things autovacuuming?  I have
> seen http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/maintenance.html#AUTOVACUUM.

The source code ;-)

> Ultimately the issue I am having is that the postgresql logs show each
> of the databases being 'autovacuumed' (actually quite often), but when
> I click around in pgAdmin it still prompts me to vacuum for many of
> the tables.  I am wondering if there are any sites that tell me the
> ins-n-outs of autovacuuming.

Note that autovacuum processing a database only means that it connects
to see if there's anything to vacuum.  It may not actually vacuum any
tables at all.  To see if it vacuums anything you must change
log_min_messages to debug2.  (On 8.3 we've added a new config parameter
log_autovacuum which will allow you to control it better).