Hash index todo list item

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Hash index todo list item
Дата
Re: Hash index todo list item  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Hash index todo list item  (Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu>)
Re: Hash index todo list item  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: Hash index todo list item  (Tom Raney <twraney@comcast.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear PostgreSQL Hackers:

After following the hackers mailing list for quite a while,
I am going to start investigating what will need to be done
to improve hash index performance. Below are the pieces of
this project that I am currently considering:

1. Characterize the current hash index implementation against  the BTree index, with a focus on space utilization and
lookupperformance against a collection of test data. This  will give a baseline performance test to evaluate the impact
of changes. I initially do not plan to bench the hash creation  process since my initial focus will be on lookup
performance.

2. Evaluate the performance of different hash index implementations  and/or changes to the current implementation. My
currentplan is  to keep the implementation as simple as possible and still provide  the desired performance. Several
hashindex suggestions deal with  changing the layout of the keys on a page to improve lookup  performance, including
reducingthe bucket size to a fraction of  a page or only storing the hash value on the page, instead of  the index
valueitself. My goal in this phase is to produce one  or more versions with better performance than the current BTree.

3. Look at build time and concurrency issues with the addition of  some additional tests to the test bed. (1)

4. Repeat as needed.

This is the rough plan. Does anyone see anything critical that
is missing at this point? Please send me any suggestions for test
data and various performance test ideas, since I will be working
on that first.

Regards,
Ken Marshall

Сообщение: Re: Per-function search_path => per-function GUC settings
Сообщение: Re: Per-function search_path => per-function GUC settings