Re: schema design question

От Steinar H. Gunderson
Тема Re: schema design question
Дата
Re: schema design question  ("mark overmeer" <markovermeer@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 11:12:16AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> There's your mistake.  EAV is not performant, and won't become so.

It sort of depends. I put all the EXIF information for my image gallery into
an EAV table -- it was the most logical format at the time, although I'm not
sure I need all the information. Anyhow, with clustering and indexes,
Postgres zips through the five million records easily enough for my use -- at
least fast enough that I can live with it without feeling the need for a
redesign.

As a general database design paradigm, though, I fully agree with you.
Databases are databases, not glorified OO data stores or hash tables.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/