Re: Performance problems with large telemetric datasets on 7.4.2

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Performance problems with large telemetric datasets on 7.4.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Sven,

> The hardware is a IBM X306m Server, 3.2 GHz HT (Pentium IV), 1 GB RAM
> and 2x 250 GB HDD (SATA-II) with ext3 fs, one of the HDD is dedicated to
> database. OS is Debian 3.1 Sarge with PostgreSQL 7.4.7 (7.4.7-6sarge1)
> with the libpq frontend library.

Note that 7.4.7 is not the current bugfix version of 7.4.x.  It is 5 or 6
patches behind.

> So I'm asking me if it is useful to update to the actual 8.2 version and
> if we could experience performance improvement only by updating.

8.2 will give you a number of features which should greatly improve your
performance situation:

1) partitioning: break up your main data table into smaller
easier-to-maintain segments (this will require some application changes)

2) VACUUM delay, which lowers the impact of vacuum on concurrent queries

3) AUTOVACUUM, which helps keep your tables in reasonable maintenance.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun