Re: Linux distro

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Linux distro
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrej Ricnik-Bay escribió:
> On 8/2/07, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A server with a GUI sitting on a login screen is wasting zero
> > resources.  Some enterprise management tools are in java which require
> > a GUI to use so there is very little downside to installing X, so IMO
> > a lightweight window manager is appropriate...a full gnome is maybe
> > overkill.  Obviously, you want to turn of the 3d screen saver :-)
> So you don't consider RAM a resource? :)
>
> I just went and rebooted my workstation, here's a top from
> just after the reboot, with the box idling on the xdm login prompt.

I think most of the virtual memory used by X is actually the map of the
graphics card's memory AFAIK, so it's not as significant as you think.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca" (Orual)