Re: Simple select hangs while CPU close to 100%

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Simple select hangs while CPU close to 100%
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> Our application is such that any update to the database is done by a
> single session in a batch process using bulk load. The frequency of
> these usually larger scale updates is variable but an update runs every
> 2-3 days on average.
>
> Originally a plain VACUUM ANALYZE was executed on every affected table
> after every load.

Any other insert/update activity outside of the bulk loads?  What's
the vacuum policy outside the bulk loads?  You say originally, does
it still do so?

I agree with Pavel that the output of vacuum verbose when the problem
is occurring would be helpful.

> VACUUM FULL ANALYZE is scheduled to run on a weekly basis.

If you need to do this, then other settings are incorrect.

> I do understand the need for vacuuming. Nevertheless I expect Postgres
> to return data eventually even if I do not vacuum. In my case, the
> simple SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table; statement on a table that had around
> 100K "live" rows has not returned the result for more than 6 hours after
> which I manually killed it.

It should, 6 hours is too long for that process, unless you're running
a 486dx2.  You didn't mention your hardware or your postgresql.conf
settings.  What other activity is occurring during this long count()?
Can you give us a shot of the iostat output and/or top during this
phenomenon?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.