Re: optimizing postgres

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: optimizing postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* lawpoop@gmail.com (lawpoop@gmail.com) wrote:
> Since I'm not an expert in Postgres database design, I'm assuming I've
> done something sub-optimal. Are there some common techniques for
> tuning postgres performance? Do we need beefier hardware?

Honestly, it sounds like the database design might be the best place to
start.  Can you provide the schema definition and queries (the actual
queries and the 'explain' output from them)?  10-20MB is certainly small
enough that you'd have to be doing something particularly terrible to
make it slow on any decent hardware...

> Or is it a problem with how PHP or apache pools connections to the
> database?

This seems unlikely to be the issue..  If you're doing alot of web page
loads and they were all sluggish or something I might say you want to
make sure you're using connection pooling to Postgres but it sounds like
you've got a different problem (perhaps a constraint against a column
which doesn't have an index?).

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения