feature requests

От Mike Gould
Тема feature requests
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I would like to see a CREATE Variable dataname datatype added. The scope of these variables would be global.  Along this same line I would like to see a way to have a trigger or rule fired upon connection initialization.  This would allow for these type of variables to be SET along with other defaults that need to be setup on a per connection basis from the server side instead of the client application.

Best Regards,

Michael Gould
All Coast Intermodal Services, Inc.
904-376-7030

From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
To: Naz Gassiep [mailto:naz@mira.net]
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 19:50:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Changing DB Encodings

Naz Gassiep <naz@mira.net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, that implies a lack of error checking.

> Surely, then, that's a bug? Shouldn't postmaster check if a DB is in an
> encoding that differs from the selected locale?

Yeah, it should. Whether it can is a different question.

Part of the problem here is the lack of a reliable way to tell
*which* encoding is implied by a locale. On some systems you
can get a poorly-standardized string name for the locale's encoding;
on others you can't get anything.

There's been some experimental code in initdb for awhile now that tries
to guess encoding from locale. I have not heard reports of it failing
lately, so maybe we could promote it into a hard error check, or at
least a backend-side warning at CREATE DATABASE time. It still won't
help on old systems without nl_langinfo(CODESET), though. (But how
many of those are left? That call is specified by the Single Unix
Spec. Anybody know if it works on Windows?)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq