Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

От Ray Stell
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:49:01AM -0700, Y Sidhu wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com> wrote:
> >
> >Campbell, Lance writes:
> >
> >> Francisco and Richard,
> >> Why ask about disk or raid?  How would that impact any settings in
> >> postgresql.conf?
> >
> >If the user has 2 disks and says that he will do a lot of updates he could
> >put pg_xlog in the second disk.

> >TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >

> Let's not ask about disk or raid at this level of sanity tuning. It is
> important for a newbie to take the right first step. When it comes to disks,
> we start talking I/O, SATA, SCSI and the varying degrees of SATA and SCSI,
> and controller cards. Then we throw in RAID and the different levels
> therein. Add to that, we can talk about drivers controlling these drives and
> which OS is faster, more stable, etc. As you can see, a newbie would get
> drowned. So, please keep it simple. I know many people on this list are
> Gurus. We know you are the best in this field, but we are not and are just
> trying to improve what we have.

Ignoring the i/o subsystem in db configuration, there's an idea.

You could request some bonnie++ output (easy to aquire) as a baseline,
do your magic analysis based on this, and skip it if it is not provided
with a warning.  Course the magic may be harder to come by.