Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 08:49:24PM +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >>I don't think it's a historical artifact at all: it's a valid reflection
> >>of the fact that we don't know enough about disk layout to do low-level
> >>I/O scheduling.  Issuing more fsyncs than necessary will do little
> >>except guarantee a less-than-optimal scheduling of the writes.
> >
> >If we extended relations by more than 8k at a time, we would know a lot
> >more about disk layout, at least on filesystems with a decent amount of
> >free space.
>
> I doubt it makes that much difference. If there was a significant amount
> of fragmentation, we'd hear more complaints about seq scan performance.
>
> The issue here is that we don't know which relations are on which drives
> and controllers, how they're striped, mirrored etc.

Actually, isn't pre-allocation one of the tricks that Greenplum uses to
get it's seqscan performance?
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints test results