Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU
Дата
Список pgsql-general
First, your mail is coming through really garbled.  Maybe you need to
add some linebreaks or something?  Anyway

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 03:58:40PM -0500, MC Moisei wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the question. What else runs on it ?I
> have an Apache that fronts a Tomcat (Java Enterprise App Server).
> In tomcat I only run this application that has a connection pool of
> 30 connections(if I remember correctly).Once the application starts

All on the same box?  And maybe you better check exactly how it's
configured if you want support, eh?

> to finish. Also I've seen that the swap increases. I never use to
> have swap used. I don't have space problems not errors in the

If you're into swap, that suggests you are running out of memory.
That'd explain just about everything.  Have you tuned postgres so
that it can use more memory than you actually have?  After two years,
I'd expect the data to be larger, which might mean you have reached
some threshold where an optimisation you made that wasn't actually
right is now really wrong.  If you're swapping, the CPU time is
probably going to bringing some data back in from disk (i.e. it's
actually in OS calls).

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin