Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> ARTEAGA Jose wrote:
> >I have been using postgres 7.0.3 (Solaris 2.9) for the past 4 years
> >without any major problems, until about a month ago. We are now
> >experiencing crashes on the backend (connection lost to backend) while
> >running queries (inserts, etc). Anyway I don't want to make this too
> >technical but I'd just like to understand if maybe I'm running into some
> >sort of limit on the size of the database. My biggest table is currently
> >at 1.5B tuples.
> >
> >Would appreciate if anyone could let me know or is aware of any limits
> >with 7.0 version.
>
> I don't remember any specific size limitations on the 7.0 series. For
> more detailed help you'll have to provide some specific error messages.

7.0 didn't have any protection against Xid wraparound.  As soon as you
hit the 4 billion transactions mark, your data suddenly disappeared.
That's what I heard at least -- I didn't have much experience with such
an old beast.  We switched rather quickly to 7.1.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They