Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 02:33:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> making userids be user@host not just a username).  This is probably why
> they still haven't got IPv6 support:
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=8836
> I wonder what their plans are for fixing that ...

Panic at the last second, like everyone else?  It's actually
remarkable how many systems still have poor or dodgy IPv6 support.
And the management tools for IPv6 remain sort of awful, given the
immense address space that people are going to have to deal with
(there's 128 bits in an IPv6 address).  But I guess MySQL AB will
have to figure out something soon, since even ARIN is on the IPv6
wagon now:

http://www.arin.net/announcements/20070521.html

(In the American-continents Internet operations world, this has
caused quite a kerfuffle, because many people have mostly ignored
IPv6 for some time.  And there are a lot of grotty corners to IPv6
for which there are no analogies in IPv4.  Uh, scoped addresses,
anyone ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
        --Bruce Schneier