Re: Geographic data sources, queries and questions

От Chuck D.
Тема Re: Geographic data sources, queries and questions
Дата
Re: Geographic data sources, queries and questions  (mkwong8888@hotmail.com)
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 24 May 2007 13:02, John D. Burger wrote:

> We also have a hodge-podge of other sources, but those are the main
> ones.  (By the way, we have found USGS to very amenable to dumping
> their data in arbitrary ways.  Those state files essentially try to
> fit everything into a single CSV format, but they have given us other
> custom dumps.)
>
> Note that both of these main sources have multiple names for the same
> location, so our schema is highly normalized - we have a separate
> table for names (so the string "Springfield" occurs in only one
> place :).  Because we are interested in all sorts of geographic
> entities, not just city/state/country, we have only a single table
> for these, with fields for type, lat/long, primary name, and a few
> other things.  All other relationships are represented in separate
> linking tables, using our internal IDs for locations and names, e.g.,
> location_has_name, location_contained_in_location, etc.  As far as
> FIPS and ISO codes are concerned, we have a separate table mapping
> (locationID, standards body) to codes.
>
> We are interested in sharing this stuff, so I'd be happy to pass
> along the schema and/or the data, although all of it is kind of beta.

John,

I'd be happy to take a look at the schema and data.

I decided to put together the USGS stuff, the maxmind free stuff and the
GeoNames project files and in the end I had countries with no states, states
with no cities and cities with no states.  Some data sources said a country
had 40 states, another said it had 50.  It was difficult to try and figure
out because I don't know geo stuff enough to verify it.

How can I go about getting a peek at the schema and the sources at least?