Re: Geographic data sources, queries and questions

От Chuck D.
Тема Re: Geographic data sources, queries and questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 23 May 2007 17:56, you wrote:
> seems hard to enforce integrity in your model. how are you going to
> ensure that the user's city-state-country combo a valid one? (well, you
> can, but it is a pain). ask yourself: can a city be in more than one
> country? probably not (even if the name is the same it is not the same
> city!). can a state be in more than one country? etc., etc.

No, a city state combination belongs to one country as far as I know.  I
really just left the country id in the city table as an easy means of getting
around while I was trying to understand the different data sources.  I was
doing a lot of typing at the console and it was easier than joins :)  It
would be dropped for sure as it adds another 4 MEGS to the table not
including indexes, and it violates BC normal form.

> numeric ids vs chars, when properly indexed, should perform about the
> same (even if there is a small difference this is not something one
> should really worry about; hey, there aren't even that many cities in
> the world!)

Ya, about 2 million city entries total.

> i would go with a unique internal id (in fact that IS what i do) you can
> store the FIPS/ISO code in a neighboring field, but i am not sure it is
> good enough for a primary key.

OK, cool.  I *prefer* the id as that is what I've been used to, but when I
used oracle in school we would have been taught to use the CHAR.  I just
don't like using the CHAR because some data sets use FIPS and some use ISO
and both are bound to change.  After all those are just abbreviations.  Seems
like something to be referenced.  I think I'll stick with the ID's instead of
CHARs then as they seem more comfortable.

Speaking of which, if you are using a similar database what source did you use
for geographic data?  I'm having troubles with a reliable set.