Re: performance drop on 8.2.4, reverting to 8.1.4

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: performance drop on 8.2.4, reverting to 8.1.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 06:40:31PM +0300, Liviu Ionescu wrote:
> > under some alignments of the planets 8.1 has similar problems.
>
> 8.1 might have similar problems, but the point here is different: if what
> was manually tuned to work in 8.1 confuses the 8.2 planner and performance
> drops so much (from 2303 to 231929 ms in my case) upgrading a production
> machine to 8.2 is a risky business. I probably have hundreds of sql
> statements in my application, some of them quite complex, and it is not
> reasonable to check all of them in order to certify them to be 8.2
> compliant.
>
> regards,
>
> Liviu

Liviu,

It is arguable, that updating the DB software version in an enterprise
environment requires exactly that: check all production queries on the
new software to identify any issues. In part, this is brought on by the
very tuning that you performed against the previous software. Restore
the 8.1 DB into 8.2. Then run the queries against both versions to
evaluate functioning and timing.

Ken