Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Re: Not ready for 8.3  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:52:16PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> This is what happens with the Linux kernel.  They have hundreds of
> developers getting their hands dirty during a previous period.  Then
> 2.6.20 is released; the 2.6.21 "merge window" opens, and all sort of
> patches are flooded in.

I hasten to point out that the Linux kernel has also had several
"stable" releases with huge bugs -- things like massive filesystem
corruption, bizarre failure cases, and nasty compatibility problems
with modules across versions.  I am not entirely sure that the Linux
model is the one to ape.  PostgreSQL has a history with remarkably
few of those blunders, and I'd hate to give that up.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.    --Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA