Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> * Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> [070516 07:23]:
>
> > Maybe. However I think "subject-sequence" has some advantages over
> > - Easy to identify. Message-Id may not appear on some MUA with default
> >   setting
> >
> > - More handy than lengthy message Id
> >
> > - Easy to detect messages not delivered, by knowing that the sequence
> >   number was skipped
>
> IMNSHO, we should be encouraging lists to move *away* from subject
> munging.  Adding more characters into a subject line which can already
> be quite long is just making the situation worse.

+1 on that.  It gets worse when messages are crossposted to multiple
lists and so multiple [FOO] strings are put into the subject.  On the
other hand I know there is people who remove the [FOO] strings in their
local machines!  (I don't do it just because I have been too lazy to
write a procmail rule about it).