Re: pg_stats how-to?

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: pg_stats how-to?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> My immediate problem is to decrease vacuum times.

Don't take this as being critical, I'm just trying to point out a slight
difference between what you're doing and what you think you're doing:

Your problem is not decreasing vacuum times.  You _think_ that the solution
to your problem is decreasing vacuum times.  We don't know what your
actual problem is, and "decreasing vacuum times" may not be the correct
solution to it.

Please describe the _problem_.  Is vacuum causing performance issues while
it's running?  I mean, if vacuum takes a long time to run, so what -- what
is the actual _problem_ caused by vacuum taking long to run.

You may benefit by enabling autovacuum, or setting vacuum_cost_delay to
allow vacuum to run with less interference to other queries (for example).

Some details on what you're doing and what's happening would be helpful,
such as the output of vacuum verbose, details on the size of your database,
your hardware, how long vacuum is taking, what you feel is an acceptable
length of time, your PG config.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.