Re: Views- Advantages and Disadvantages

От Leif B. Kristensen
Тема Re: Views- Advantages and Disadvantages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 10. May 2007 21:21, Tom Lane wrote:

>"Leif B. Kristensen" <leif@solumslekt.org> writes:

>> I haven't pondered the subtleties of 'stable', 'immutable' or
>> 'volatile' yet, but rather reckoned that the default would do.
>
>Yeah, I was against this particular change actually, because I
> expected that it would cause more problems for people who hadn't paid
> close attention to this point than it'd fix for those trying to do
> cute things.
>
>> Here are the function definitions:

>AFAICS you ought to mark both of those STABLE, since they use but
> don't change database data.

Tom,
thanks for your explanation. As always, it is lucid and to the point.

Would it be reasonable to suggest that later versions of PostgreSQL
could examine if a function changes data, and quietly marks a function
as 'stable' if it doesn't?
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/