Re: Dangers of fsync = off

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Dangers of fsync = off
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 08:54:10AM -0600, Joel Dice wrote:

> My next question is this: what are the dangers of turning fsync off in the
> context of a high-availablilty cluster using asynchronous replication?

My real question is why you want to turn it off.  If you're using a
battery-backed cache on your disk controller, then fsync ought to be
pretty close to free.  Are you sure that turning it off will deliver
the benefit you think it will?

> on Y.  Thus, database corruption on X is irrelevant since our first step
> is to drop them.

Not if the corruption introduces problems for replication, which is
indeed possible.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton