Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Jim C. Nasby <jim@nasby.net> [070418 14:39]:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 06:39:34PM +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > Keyword expansions are generally bad because SCM tools should track
> > _content_ - and keyword expansions _modify_ it to add metadata that is
> > somewhat redundant, obtainable in other ways, and should just not be in
> > the middle of the _data_. Those modifications lead to patches that have
> > bogus hunks and sometimes don't apply, MD5/SHA1 checksums that don't
> > match and a whole lot of uncertainty.
>
> Then how do you tell what version a file is if it's outside of a
> checkout?

That's what all the fun is about ;-)  Some would say that "labelling" the
file is the job of the release processes.  Others say it's the job of
the SCM system...

Of course I just sit on the fence because in the work I have to do, I'm
quite happy that nothing is "outside of a checkout".  GIT is good enough
that I have it everywhere.  I realise not everyone's that lucky..

;-)

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,