Re: [mux@FreeBSD.org: Re: Anyone interested in improving postgresql scaling?]

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [mux@FreeBSD.org: Re: Anyone interested in improving postgresql scaling?]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:03:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Well, the thing is, we've pretty much had it handed to us that
> >> current-command indicators that aren't up to date are not very useful.
> >> So rate-limited updates strike me as a useless compromise.
>
> > I don't get your argument - ps auxww is never going to be 100%
> > up-to-date because during the time the command is running the status
> > may change.
>
> Of course.  But we have already done the update-once-every-half-second
> bit --- that was how pg_stat_activity used to work --- and our users
> made clear that it's not good enough.  So I don't see us expending
> significant effort to convert the setproctitle code path to that
> approach.  The clear way of the future for expensive-setproctitle
> platforms is just to turn it off entirely and rely on the new
> pg_stat_activity implementation.

8.3 will modify less memory to update the process title than happened in
the past --- perhaps that will reduce the overhead, but I doubt it.  You
can test CVS HEAD to check it.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: TOASTing smaller things
От: Alexey Klyukin
Сообщение: Re: What tools do people use to hack on PostgreSQL?