Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?
Дата
Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Matthew O'Connor wrote:

> Devrim Gündüz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 01:23 -0400, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>>> The other thing to consider is that CentOS 5 has Xen built right in,
>>> so you should be able run VMs without VMWare on it.
>>
>> ... if the kernel of the OS has Xen support, there will be no
>> performance penalty (only 2%-3%) (Para-virtualization). Otherwise, there
>> will be full-virtualization, and we should expect a performance loss
>> about 30% for each guest OS (like Windows).
>
> I may be wrong but I thought that the guest OS kernel only needs special
> support if the underlying CPU doesn't have virtualization support which
> pretty much all the new Intel and AMD chips have.  No?

It doesn't matter as far as MY box is concerned.  I use VMWare extensively
in my current $DAYJOB, and I want to be able to test/play with things related
to that as well.  The box I'm building will be using the (free) VMWare Server
as it's virtualization platform.

I'd still like to hear from a Tom Lane or someone else on the project with what
X86 or X86_64 OS's we need coverage for.

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893