Re: Equivalents in PostgreSQL of MySQL's "ENGINE=MEMORY" "MAX_ROWS=1000"

От Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
Тема Re: Equivalents in PostgreSQL of MySQL's "ENGINE=MEMORY" "MAX_ROWS=1000"
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2007-04-04 Arnau wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Is there anything similar in PostgreSQL? The idea behind this is how
>>> I can do in PostgreSQL to have tables where I can query on them very
>>> often something like every few seconds and get results very fast
>>> without overloading the postmaster.
>>
>> If you're only querying the tables every few seconds, then you don't
>> really need to worry about performance.
>
> Well, the idea behind this is to have events tables, and a monitoring
> system polls that table every few seconds.  I'd like to have a kind of
> FIFO stack. From "the events producer" point of view he'll be pushing
> rows into that table, when it's filled the oldest one will be removed
> to leave room to the newest one. From "the consumer" point of view
> he'll read all the contents of that table.
>
> So I'll not only querying the tables, I'll need to also modify that
> tables.

Ummm... this may be a dumb question, but why are you trying to implement
something like a FIFO with an RDBMS in the first place? Wouldn't it be
much easier to implement something like that as a separate program or
script?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."