Re: Performance of count(*)

От Andreas Kostyrka
Тема Re: Performance of count(*)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
* Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> [070322 12:07]:
> Hi,
>
> I just try to find out why a simple count(*) might last that long.
> At first I tried explain, which rather quickly knows how many rows
> to check, but the final count is two orders of magnitude slower.

Which version of PG?

The basic problem is, that explain knows quickly, because it has it's
statistics.

The select proper, OTOH, has to go through the whole table to make
sure which rows are valid for your transaction.

That's the reason why PG (check the newest releases, I seem to
remember that there has been some aggregate optimizations there), does
a SeqScan for select count(*) from table. btw, depending upon your
data, doing a select count(*) from table where user=X will use an
Index, but will still need to fetch the rows proper to validate them.

Andreas