Re: function call vs staright query

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: function call vs staright query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi all again.

I've seen that there has been another post similar to mine:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-03/msg00166.php

I understand that the query planner has less infos about the query
at the time the function is defined / loaded.
In my case in the query there is a "field like string" expression that seems
to be the performance killer.
If the string is 'SOMETING%' the straight query is fast. While '%SOMETING%'
makes the straight query be as slow as the function.
This thing clears part of the problem. The EXPLAIN actually explains a lot.

But the details should be complete at call time when the pattern string is
known. So at least the first case should have comparable performances for both
the straight query and the function call.

So my previous question becomes:

How can I delay the query planner decisions until the actual query is to be
done inside the function body?

Many thanks again for any hint.

--
Vincenzo Romano