Re: Insert performance

От Andreas Kostyrka
Тема Re: Insert performance
Дата
Re: Insert performance  ("hatman" <joel.winteregg@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
* Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> [070306 12:22]:
> >>2. You can do a COPY from libpq - is it really not possible?
> >>
> >Not really but i have been testing it and inserts are flying (about
> >100000 inserts/sec) !!
>
> What's the problem with the COPY? Could you COPY into one table then insert from that to your target table?
Well, there are some issues. First your client needs to support it.
E.g. psycopg2 supports only some specific CSV formatting in it's
methods. (plus I had sometimes random psycopg2 crashes, but guarding against
these is cheap compared to the speedup from COPY versus INSERT)
Plus you need to be sure that your data will apply cleanly (which in
my app was not the case), or you need to code a fallback that
localizes the row that doesn't work.

And the worst thing is, that it ignores RULES on the tables, which
sucks if you use them ;) (e.g. table partitioning).

Andreas