Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB

От: Magnus Hagander
Тема: Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
      Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Jeff Davis, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Charles Sprickman, )
  Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Charles Sprickman, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Steinar H. Gunderson", )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
      Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Oleg Bartunov, )
       Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Chris, )

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 04:24:12PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'd really like to come up with a more intelligent search engine that
> >doesn't take two minutes to return results. :) I know, in the end good
> >indexes and underlying hardware will be important, but a sane as possible
> >query structure helps to start with.
>
> I'm not a programmer, so I can't comment on how good of an example this
> is, but I've been pretty happy with mnogosearch:
>
> http://www.mnogosearch.com/
>
> The *nix versions are free.  Looking at the db structure gave me a bit of
> an idea of what I'm guessing is the "right way" to search a huge amount of
> documents.

Just as a datapoint, we did try to use mnogosearch for the
postgresql.org website+archives search, and it fell over completely.
Indexing took way too long, and we had search times several thousand
times longer than with tsearch2.

That said, I'm sure there are cases when it works fine :-)

//Magnus