Re: Why *exactly* is date_trunc() not immutable ?

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: Why *exactly* is date_trunc() not immutable ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 09:19:43PM +0900, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> >What I don't understand, however, is exactly *why* date_trunc is
> >not immutable ?
>
> I believe it's because the result of date_trunc depends on the time
> zone setting for the session.

> So, given the same arguments, ('day', and current_timestamp),
> date_trunc is returning two different results. (Casting to date has
> the same issue.)

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Now, if I'd write a

    date_trunc_utc(precision, timestamp with time zone)

which converts input timestamps to UTC I could fairly safely
mark that IMMUTABLE, no ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346