Re: daylight savings patches needed?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: daylight savings patches needed?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve Crawford wrote:
> > I was trying to avoid getting into the gory details of which releases
> > had which timezone fixes, but it seems I can't avoid it.  The new FAQ
> > item has the details:
> >
> >     USA daylight saving time changes are included in PostgreSQL release
> >     8.0.[4+], and all later major releases, e.g. 8.1.  Canada and Western
> >     Australia changes are included in 8.0.[10+], 8.1.[6+], and all later
> >     major releases.  PostgreSQL releases prior to 8.0 use the operating
> >     system's timezone database for daylight saving information.
> >
> > If this is unclear, please let me know.
> >

> Don't know if this was asked/answered elsewhere but:
>
> 1. What, exactly, was the point of moving away from the system zoneinfo
> files and requiring PG admins to maintain yet another apparently
> identical set of files? It seemed to work fine as it was and for me this
> change just adds more work and chance of error.

We needed more control of how to query that database for timestamp
support.

> 2. Is there a build option to put it back to the old way?

No.

> 3. If 2.answer=no then would there be any problem just symlinking the PG
> timezone directory to the system zoneinfo directory?

Uh, I think you could do that, yea, assuming the same binaries could be
used.  Remember, it doesn't read the text files but binary representations.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us
  Homepage        http://momjian.us

Сообщение: Re: daylight savings patches needed?
Сообщение: Re: daylight savings patches needed?