Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32

От Dave Page
Тема Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32
Дата
Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
Список pgsql-general

I must Be missing the point - why should I work something out with your app for using a documented feature of libpq in
pgAdmin?

> I saw in the docs you can specify a alternate location for the pgpass
> file, why don't you guys use some other location so you are not
> impacting other
> apps?  If a user goes into %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf with the
> specific purpose of setting up a pgpass file so they don't have to enter
> a password that's a differnt story.

Because PGPASSFILE only appeared in 8.1 and we don't know if our libpq supports it at runtime.

> Not to mention that the whole pgpass thing is a huge security hole, it
> would be different if the passwords where encrypted or hashed, but they
> are just sitting there in plain text.

In an 0600 file on *nix, or in your profile on Windows, which if you were concerned with security would be secured as
well.

> If you have a way to prevent my app from automatically using settings
> set by pgAdmin III, I am willing to listen.

To what? I'm not the one wanting to change anything! :-)

/D

Сообщение: Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32