"May", "can", "might"

От Bruce Momjian
Тема "May", "can", "might"
Дата
Re: [DOCS] "May", "can", "might"  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Re: "May", "can", "might"  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Standard English uses "may", "can", and "might" in different ways:

    may - permission, "You may borrow my rake."

    can - ability, "I can lift that log."

    might - possibility, "It might rain today."

Unfortunately, in conversational English, their use is often mixed, as
in, "You may use this variable to do X", when in fact, "can" is a better
choice.  Similarly, "It may crash" is better stated, "It might crash".

I would like to clean up our documentation to consistently use these
words.  Objections?

(Who says were obsessive?)  :-)

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us