Re: encode, lower and 0x8a

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: encode, lower and 0x8a
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:52:33PM -0500, Michael Artz wrote:
> On 1/27/07, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> >SELECT decode(lower(textin(byteaout(bytes))), 'escape') FROM mytable;
>
> That seems to work correctly, however I missed the functions textin'
> and 'byteaout' in the docs ... are they documented somewhere?

Those are the types' input/output functions.  They're not specifically
documented but "User-Defined Types" in the "Extending SQL" chapter
discusses the concept; see also CREATE TYPE.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xtypes.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-createtype.html

Using the input/output functions is a bit hackish since, as you
discovered, their exact behavior isn't documented.

--
Michael Fuhr