Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:16:39PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> What are your plans for reducing the number of resources needed to
> upgrade databases?

As noted, the table structure changes only slightly between versions,
if at all. What does change significantly is the catalog. Even now
there have been significant underlying changes to make the catalog
totally incompatable. There has been work on a pg_upgrade tool which
would create a new database with the new version and then copy the data
tables from the old version and rebuild the indexes. The idea being
that the data is large, but the underlying system is fairly small.

In theory it could work, but I don't know about the status. There has
been some support from the core that *if* such a pg_upgrade tool
existed, *then* they would provide some backward compatability for he
datatypes.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения