Re: PG not rejecting bad dates (was Re: Finding bogus dates)

От David Fetter
Тема Re: PG not rejecting bad dates (was Re: Finding bogus dates)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 05:42:54PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/18/07 17:22, Scott Ribe wrote:
> >> But this won't work if one had a text column of dates in various
> >> formats, right?
> >
> > Right. In my case I have bad data from a source I didn't control, exported
> > via code that I do control which happens to output YYYY-MM-DD. Well, except
> > that I don't do what I need to when MM or DD are more than 2 digits, but I'm
> > going back to look at that again ;-)
>
> Why didn't the PG engine reject these bad-date records at INSERT
> time.  This smacks of something that MySQL would do...

I'm pretty sure it didn't accept these as bad dates, but as text
strings.  As you point out, it's a MySQLism to take "we are all here
to go into space" as a valid date.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: drive failre, corrupt data...
Сообщение: Re: drive failre, corrupt data...