Re: Newbie questions (pg_global, tablespace, pg_temp, ...)

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Newbie questions (pg_global, tablespace, pg_temp, ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 07:02:13PM +0530, Alexi Gen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to postgreSQL (not databases) and trying to find my way arouund.
> Have a couple of questions:
>
> (a) In which dir is the pg_global stored?
> Is it "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\global"?

Yes.

> (b) Why is the pg_tablespace.spclocation column=null for pg_default &
> pg_global?

Because they're fixed by the base location of the cluster, they don't
need to specified.

> (c) When creating an object - if the tablespace attribute is not specified
> - it is resolved as follows:
> Index      - Parent Table on which the index is being created.
> Table      - Tablespace of the database in which the table is being created.
> Database - Tablespace of the template from which this database was created
> (Ex: template1).
>
> If the above is the method by which the tablespace name is resolved, when
> does the default_tablespace variable get used?
> Or Will the above come into the picture if default_tablespace=NULL?

It's the default if nothing has been specified. The docs say quite
clearly that the default_tablespace GUC overrides those rules you gave.

> (d)
> The following objects are shared between all databases in a cluster.
> pg.catalog.pg_group: List of user groups (View).
> pg.catalog.pg_shadow: List of valid users. (View)
> pg.catalog.pg_database: List of databases in the cluster. (Table)
> pg.catalog.pg_tablespace: List of tablespaces. (Table)
>
> There are 33 tables & 33 Views in the pg_catalog schema.
> Are there any other tables & views that are common to all databases in a
> cluster?

Anything in the pg_global tablespace.

> Why have cluster common objects sitting in each database in the cluster?

They only exist once, they are just visible from each database.

> How can we differentiate between objects in pg_catalog?

By OID? I'm not sure of the question.

> Those that are specific to the database and those that are common to the
> cluster?

The stuff that's global is in pg_global, everything else is seperate.

> (e) Can someone please point me to a document/URL that has information
> about using temp tables in postgreSQL?
> I have already read material that is available in the official PostgreSQL
> documentation.
> Want something more - the inner workings, pg_temp*, etc..

The docs cover all this, but you'll have to go to the section dealing
with technical details.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения