Re: Index bloat of 4x

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Index bloat of 4x
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:

> We just did a bunch of maintenance on one of our production databases that
> involved a lot of alter tables and moving records about and the like.
>
> Afterwards, I did a vacuum full and analyze to get the database back on
> track -- autovac maintains it under normal operations.
>
> Today I decided to run reindex during a slow period, and was shocked to
> find the database size drop from 165M to 30M.  Keep in mind that the
> 165M is after vacuum full.  So, apparently, there was 135M of index bloat?
> That seems a little excessive to me, especially when the docs claim that
> reindexing is usually not necessary.

It's been said that vacuum full does not fix index bloat -- in fact,
it's a problem it worsens.  However, I very much doubt that it would be
this serious.  I guess the question is, how large was the index *before*
all the alter tables?

I'd expect that it was the ALTER TABLEs that caused this much index
growth, which VACUUM FULL was subsequently unable to fix.

I don't expect you kept a log of index sizes throughout the operation
however :-(