Re: ORDER BY col is NULL in UNION causes error?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: ORDER BY col is NULL in UNION causes error?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> > On Dec 26, 2006, at 18:39 , Mike Benoit wrote:
> >> ERROR:  ORDER BY on a UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT result must be on one of
> >> the result columns
>
> > Even though state is a column in both tables, the order by is using
> > an expression, rather than a column.
> > I'm not sure of the underlying reasons why your query doesn't work,
> > but give these a shot.
>
> There are some implementation reasons for not supporting expressions
> computed on a UNION result without an intervening sub-SELECT.  It's too
> late at night for me to recall exactly what they are :-( --- one is that
> an Append plan node doesn't do any expression evaluation, but I think
> there are some more-subtle issues too.  Suffice it to say that we could
> support this if we wanted to throw enough effort at it, but so far other
> problems have seemed more pressing.
>
> In the meantime, it seems like the above-quoted error message is not
> clear enough, since Mike failed to get the point that "the ORDER BY
> item has to be just a simple column name of the UNION output".  Anyone
> have a suggestion for better wording?

I have updated the wording from

  "ORDER BY on a UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT result must be on one of the result columns")));

to:

  "ORDER BY on a UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT result must match existing result columns")));

The 'match' wording might help, rather then 'use'.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us