PGPASS.CONF ¿is there a way to protect it?

От guillermo arias
Тема PGPASS.CONF ¿is there a way to protect it?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello, i am using PostgreSQL 8.2 in a Windows XP pc. I know that this file PGPASS.CONF stores the users with password, but because this is a plain txt file, it is easy for "curious" people to read the contents.
By other way, if i do not write the password there, my users will have to write it when trying to connect to the PostgreSQL, and it is not desirable when i have an application in Windows.
I have to say that my WinXP pc has the C: partition with FAT32, and the J: partition is NTFS. The PostgreSQL engine and database are installed in J:

My question is ¿how can i protect PGPASS.CONF? or if you have another idea for protecting the passwords i will be very thankfull to read it.

bye

Guillermo Arias, Lima- Perú