Continue sequence

От Wilton Wonrath
Тема Continue sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Which is the correct way to obtain a continue sequence without fail (hole/gap) for a composite-id ?

Example:

CREATE TABLE nf
(
number   INTERGER NOT NULL,
serie       VARCHAR(2) NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT pky_nf PRIMARY KEY (number,serie)
)

number      serie
1               A
2               A
1               B
3               A
4               A
2               B

I think that I will need to use LOCK TABLE or SELECT FOR UPDATE, but in both cases if the client terminal shutdown suddenly the tuple/table stays locked on the server for a indeterminate time.

I did a test with the following commands using pgadmin III:

BEGIN;
LOCK TABLE nf IN EXCLUSIVE MODE;

I restarted my terminal and checked in another terminal that the LOCK condition was there. After 10 minutes, to unlock the table, I send a KILL command for the process that was locking the table/tuple.

Best regards,

Rogério Augusto Bassete - BRAZIL/SP

Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/