Re: out of memory woes

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: out of memory woes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Angva wrote:

> Guess I'm about ready to wrap up this thread, but I was just wondering
> if Alvaro might have confused work_mem with maintenance_work_mem. The
> docs say that work_mem is used for internal sort operations, but they
> also say maintenance_work_mem is used for create index. My tests seem
> to show that clustering does not use work_mem at all (or my clusters
> don't use very much of it for whatever reason). Can anyone confirm
> this?

Huh, sure, "system" operations like cluster, create index or vacuum use
maintenance_work_mem, not work_mem (the latter being used mainly by
regular queries, i.e. select, update, delete).  I just hadn't read the
whole background of your problem so I didn't notice you were talking
about cluster.  Sorry about being sloppy on that.