Re: TODO: GNU TLS

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:32:34AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Currently there has not been one technical argument that is valid to
> have us include GNU TLS.

1) The normal freedom that not being tied down to a single product  provides. The same reason somebody might build
MySQL+ PostgreSQL  support into their product. It usually forces a generic abstraction  to be used, which may be a long
terminvestment into a better code  base within PostgreSQL.

2) Documentation is much better in GNUTLS. When using OpenSSL, I find  myself frequently referring to the source code
itself,as the best  documentation available is for the now-possibly-out-of-date SSLeay.

3) Due to various political agendas, and legal confusion, GNUTLS has  been steadily growing in popularity. One day it
maybe that GNUTLS  is better maintained and well known than OpenSSL, at which point  it might be a practical choice to
onlysupport GNUTLS, and drop  support for OpenSSL entirely.

4) GNUTLS development seems more active? OpenSSL has been in a frozen/mature  state for a while. I don't understand why
OpenSSLis still labelled as  0.9.x, which might indicate alpha quality, under heavy development.

I don't find the reasons too compelling - but they are points to
consider.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/