Re: pg_hba.conf hostname todo

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: pg_hba.conf hostname todo
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> Before we rehearse the discussion we had in June again, please review
> it. It ended on these sensible words from Tom at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-02/msg00550.php :

I'd have to disagree with this sentiment and agree with Gregory's
followup here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-02/msg00553.php

> >> Personally, I doubt there's any great use case for DNS names. Like Tom
> >> says, if it involves much more that removing the AI_NUMERICHOST hint
> >> then let's forget it.
> >
> >Perhaps more to the point: let's do that and wait to see if the field
> >demand justifies expending lots of sweat on anything smarter.  Given
> >that we've gone this long with only allowing numeric IPs in pg_hba.conf,
> >I suspect we'll find that few people really care.

I don't see that this argument really makes all that much sense- not
doing it properly and then waiting to see if people use it isn't exactly
how I'd go about finding out if people want it.
Thanks,
    Stephen