Re: determining which table to lookup depending on data values

От David Fetter
Тема Re: determining which table to lookup depending on data values
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 08:14:43PM +1300, Steve Castellotti wrote:

>    Hello all-
>        I'm working with a poorly-designed schema and need to do a lookup in one
>    table who's name I have to pull from a second table. I'm wondering if its
>    possible to do something like this in PostgreSQL:
>    Say I have three tables:
>    CREATE TABLE audio (id int4, name varchar(32));
>    CREATE TABLE video (id int4, name varchar(32));
>    CREATE TABLE media (id int4, table_name varchar(32), table_id int4);
>    with data:
>    INSERT INTO audio VALUES (0, 'file.wav');
>    INSERT INTO video VALUES (0, 'file.avi');
>    INSERT INTO media VALUES (0, 'audio', 0);
>    INSERT INTO media VALUES (1, 'video', 0);
>        Is there any way, especially in a single statement, where I can get the
>    name of a few if I only have the media table's id?
>    SELECT name FROM (SELECT table_name FROM media WHERE media_id=1);
>        Of course I get back an error about needing to give my subquery an
>    alias, but even if I do so I only get the output from the subquery, instead
>    of being able to tell PostgreSQL to use that output as the name of the table
>    it should use to look up "name"
>        The original design was meant for a multimedia play which could use a
>    mixture of audio and video in a playlist, and that which housed all of the
>    entries for the playlist could just refer to an id for the media table. When
>    the software plays it has to pull this information out and do a single
>    lookup for each item. This looses referential integrity and means you can't
>    get from a play down to a specific file with one query.
>    Thanks in advance!
>    Steve Castellotti

Here's a sketch of what you can do about this.  Let me know whether
any of it's unclear :)

http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/2005-04/msg00022.php

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!