Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

От Michael Stone
Тема Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:24:46PM -0500, Ron wrote:
>ATM, the most we can say is that in a number of systems with modest
>physical IO subsystems

So I reran it on a 3.2GHz xeon with 6G RAM off a ramdisk; I/O ain't the
bottleneck on that one. Results didn't show didn't show any signficant
gains regardless of compilation options (results hovered around 12k
tps). If people want to continue this, I will point out that they should
make sure they're linked against the optimized libpq rather than an
existing one elsewhere in the library path. Beyond that, I'm done with
this thread. Maybe there are some gains to be found somewhere, but the
testing done thus far (while limited) is sufficient, IMO, to demonstrate
that compiler options aren't going to provide a blow-your-socks-off
dramatic performance improvement.

Mike Stone