Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> wheel <wheel@wheel.not> writes:
> > I guess the reason is that the pg system database etc are lodged in the
> > hive under \base\, and the system db contains the metadata about the db
> > to be restored?
>
> No, the reason why selective restore doesn't work is that all tables in
> a database cluster depend on the same commit log (pg_clog) to determine
> which rows are valid and which are not.  What you were trying to do is
> described in the manual (with a warning not to do it) under
> backup/restore procedures:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup-file.html
>
> Also, if you would like to know more about the physical layout of the
> database contents, it's described here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/storage.html

This is the contents of /data:

    PG_VERSION              pg_clog/                pg_multixact/
    pg_twophase/            postmaster.opts base/
    pg_hba.conf             pg_subtrans/            pg_xlog/
    postmaster.pid global/  pg_ident.conf
    pg_tblspc/              postgresql.conf

None of these are optional for restoring a database.  They are all
interconected.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us