Re: Marking indexes out of date (WAS: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum) feature request?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Marking indexes out of date (WAS: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum) feature request?
Дата
Re: Marking indexes out of date (WAS: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum) feature request?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
PITR and moving objects between table spaces  (Glen Parker <glenebob@nwlink.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:49:30PM -0800, Glen Parker wrote:
> I'd like to see a general way to take indexes off line without actually
> losing their definitions.  For example, something like "ALTER TABLE [EN
> | DIS] ABLE INDEXES", "ALTER INDEX [EN | DIS] ABLE", etc.  This could
> also be used internally when a backend encounters an error
> reading/writing an index.  Rather than refusing to execute queries, it
> could just ignore indexes it knows are disabled or bad in some way and
> re-plan as needed.

One issue would be that even disabled indexes would need to be updated
when there are new rows. If you don't update the index when it's
disabled, then re-enabling will essentially need to rebuild the index.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения